“We need to know how to navigate the harsh realities we may encounter with our kids. And we need to change our expectations and dispel the myth of the picture-perfect family.” -Brenda Yoder, Fledge: Launching Your Kids Without Losing Your Mind
It is so easy to think that if you do this parenting thing right, your kids will turn out the way you hoped and dreamed. Have you dealt with disappointment in your parenting? Most of us have in one way or another. In this episode, Brenda works through a few principles from her book, Fledge, with the hope that it will help parents struggling with disappointment and how to develop healthy expectations of yourself as well as your family.
- Your child is separate from you, and their choices are their own.
- Your child’s decisions don’t define them or you.
- Your relationship with your child is more important than their decisions or lifestyle.
- Your child will mess up because they’re not perfect, and neither are you.
- Love your family for who they are, not for their performance or how people perceive them.
- God is the hope for all families.